WE APPRECIATE YOU TAKING THE TIME TO READ THESE GUIDELINES IN ITS ENTIRETY BEFORE OPERATING.
CAST IRON FIREPLACE BASICS
Cast iron is amazing at evenly spreading and retaining heat, meaning it takes less effort to warm your tent. Cast iron fireplaces are extremely efficient to run and just take a bit of knowledge to operate.
HOW TO START A FIRE
- Pull the damper all the way out (the knob on the bottom left corner) to allow maximum air flow to start an efficient burn.
- Take 2 logs and place them next to each other. Wedge the firestarter (flat side up so it looks like a cup) in between the logs.
- Take another 1-2 logs and criss cross them on top. Allow the fire to build with the door closed 3/4 of the way.
- Wait until the fire starts crackling before adding more wood (approx 5 minutes).
- Close the damper about two-thirds of the way as the fire begins to catch. As the chimney warms and the airflow increases, it pulls more heat upward and out of the chimney. This flow heats the coals and pushes air through the wood, increasing the heat.
GOOD TO KNOW
- Only burn firewood and firestarter purchased from our Camp Store. Please do not burn any other materials.
- Add wood front to back so that you do not risk having a log roll out when you open the door.
- Reduce the damper to between one-fourth and halfway open to maintain heat. If the damper is more than halfway open, there will be a raging flame but there will be too much airflow to produce heat and will consume more wood.
- Never leave the fire door open unattended.
- Let the fire burn out on its own. Please do not pour any water over the fire unless it is an emergency.
- Caution: the tops and sides of the fireplace will be very hot. Do not allow pets or children near the fireplace.